Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Hate Northern California


On Friday due to circumstance I ended up watching Notorious on Mission instead of Court. Probably one of the most awful, disheartening experiences I've ever had in a movie theater. Almost 12 years later the Hip Hop fans in San Francisco were vocal, rapping along to "Hit em up", shouting "Westside" whenever the opportunity presented itself and jeering when the fatal shots were fired. I can't say this with any certainty but I'm fairly certain no one was cheering in Brooklyn when Anthony Mackie got shot down. That being said, unless you're a joyless asshole I'd recommend watching the film in a less hostile environment. Gravy looks like a California Raisin and I can spit a more convincing Biggie flow but you will leave the theater with a smile on your face assuming it's not filled with morons wearing print hoodies who over pronounce their consonants. The fake Lil Kim is nicer then the real one and getting a little off mic time with Big, however tired the biopic format, is a pleasant stroll down memory lane for stans like me. As it is Sunday morning and I am here on the West Coast allow me to rise above and promote a little bi-coastal unity, dedicated to the fun and funky West Coast Hip Hop we know and love.

No comments: